Ale House is operating in a CIRCA 1860’s Structure that has been in the front
line of Harlem history.
the late 1890’s a top floor was added that housed a full bowling alley.
the early 1920’s the building became Frank Schaefer’s speakeasy after his
original “Saloon” was shut down at 341 Lenox Avenue (just around the corner).
the late 1920’s it served as a “Number Hole” for Harlem Hoodlum’s Ulysses
Rollins whose boss was the infamous gangster Dutch Schultz.
the 1970’s it was the popular “101 Variety Store” AKA “The Candy Store” run by “Fats”
a tough Harlem Underworld figure. According to old time Harlem lores a few a
few people may have met their demise in the basement of the ill named “Candy
the artifacts displayed on the walls of Harlem Ale House are original to the
building and if there is a strong “Masonic” presence it’s because from the early
1920’s until 2010 the building housed many of Harlem Masonic Lodges. The
picture hanging on the left side of the mural was taken by James Van der Zee in
1925. Many of Van der Zee’s famous Masonic Photography were taken on the 2nd
5 Arrests, 1 Fight in 21 Raids for Rum:
The New York Times August 2, 1922)
(rf: Gangsters of Harlem: The
Gritty Underworld of New York City's Most Famous Neighborhood)